ATBFP Logo

ATBFP Logo

Wednesday, January 5, 2011

Getting Organized and Rid of the Clutter!

I developed a long "to-do" list of areas of the condo that need my urgent attention.  I have accumulated too much clutter around the house.  Why is it that I need all my stuff around me and in plain sight?

Anyway, I have made headway with my clothes closet.  I am almost done going through and sorting all my clothes into bags for recycling.  I am diminishing my accordian closet that had at least 5 different sizes to clothes that now fit me well and look professional.  Last year I gave away 7 boxes of clothes to a friend of a friend in Louisiana who gives clothes to those still in need post-Katrina.  So far this year I have given away 4 bags of clothes to a goodwill-related charity.  So I have one more bag filled up and another getting there.

With the help of my devoted husband, I have also gotten a handle on our dining room coat closet.  Yesterday morning, we put away the few Christmas decorations we had out this year, reorganized the Christmas wrapping paper, put a small table that had no home into the closet, and found room for all my padded envelopes and bubble wrap.  We also finally pulled out all the coats that are too big for both of us now that we have lost so much weight and have given them to a local drycleaner that has an annual winter coat drive.  We hung up the rest of the coats and sweaters just piled in a heap.  The boots and gloves also got put away and now we have a neat and tidy closet!  Hurray!

My Mom's advice about cleaning is to quickly lie down until the tidyness attack passes.  I am usually a great follower of that advice, but after months of inaction and feeling paralyzed by it all, I finally have broken through and have found the interest and energy to get started.  Focusing on one small area at a time has helped give me a sense of accomplishment and desire to keep going on the next area needing attention.  And, I have been inspired by all the emails from various retailers and ladies' magazines that I have been getting about being organized in the new year.

http://www.bhg.com/home-improvement/storage/around-the-house/ways-to-reduce-clutter/?sssdmh=dm17.491962&esrc=nwwut&email=1327846408

http://www.allpeoplequilt.com/techniques/basics/sewing-room-storage_ss1.html?sssdmh=dm17.499414&esrc=nwapq&email=1327846408

http://www.bhg.com/crafts/craft-storage/hobby-rooms/quick-and-clever-ideas-for-organizing-crafts-supplies/?sssdmh=dm17.491964&esrc=nwcut&email=1327846408

http://www.bhg.com/decorating/budget-decorating/cheap/simple-storage-for-less/?sssdmh=dm17.496348&esrc=nwdc&email=1327846408

So I am living one of my resolutions to reduce, repurpose, reuse and recycle.

How are you doing this first week of the New Year?

Hugs.

1 comment:

  1. I like your Mom's idea, LOL! It feels so good when you accomplish each and every (no matter how small) organizational project. I've set a goal to try and do at least one small project daily on the days that I can. It's working pretty good and I can see improvement already. Good luck to you!
    Smiles, Karen

    ReplyDelete